Thanks to Shelby Montgomery of KVIA TV for including us on this news story about driving while being sleep deprived.
According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, a review of crashes resulting in injuries found drivers were 1.3x more likely to be involved in accidents if they missed an hour of sleep and 1.9x more likely if they missed 2 of the 7 hours of daily recommended sleep.
Here are some considerations and tips for driving while you’re tired:
- Focus on getting enough sleep every night and avoid being chronically fatigued during the day
- Reduce your speed
- Increase your following distance
- Consider avoiding driving on the freeway as driving on the freeway for long stretches can lull you to sleep
- Drink a cup of coffee or energy drink
- Roll down the windows
- On long trips stop every 2 hours, get out of the car, stretch and move around, rest if necessary